November 1926 thru February 1939

The church was organized in November 1926 and was located at North and Douglas Streets The first deacons selected were, Luther Cox, Thomas McGinty, Dorris Shobe and Nathan Lindsay.  Brother Cox suggested the name, Greater Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church. 

 During the first fourteen years the church called six different pastors.  They were Forrest Jefferson, V. Belcher, Charles Vance, S. S. Thomas, Rev. Noble and C. J. Thornton.  We praise God that the foundation of the church was built on the solid rock of Jesus Christ.  If not during this difficult period we may have crumbled.  The Female Chorus (later known as the Gospel Chorus), the Usher Board, Senior Choir, Senior Missionary and the Junior Missionary were organized.  In 1939 the church moved to its present location.

 

January 1940 thru October 1968

Under the leadership of Rev. Frank K. Dillard, the church grew in membership, financially; and most important, it grew spiritually and in knowledge of Godís word.  During this period the following auxiliaries were organized; the Youth Group, Starlight Band, Cub Scouts, Adult Guild, Jubilees Chorus, Nurses Aid, YWA and the Deaconess.  Educational facilities were added to the site.  The mortgage was burned and a parsonage was purchased.

 Other accomplishments included an educational program, annual church conventions, visitation and canvassing programs, Vacation Bible School and Night Sunday School.  Pastor Dillard loved God and Greater Gethsemane.  He used his experience, energy, drive, vision and knowledge to enhance Godís program and the congregation.  Pastor Dillard retired in October of 1968.  He left behind a great legacy to be cherished by all who journeyed with him.

April 1969 thru August 1998

Under the leadership of Rev. Wesley Manning, Sr., we continued to aim for higher heights.  Mid-day prayer services were organized.  The Male Chorus and the Brotherhood were re-organized.  On September 26, 1976, the congregation marched into the new edifice, which was built on the same site as the original church.  The Educational Board and the New Member Orientation Committee were established.  Church busses were added to enhance our bus ministry and property surrounding the church was purchased.  Many young people accepted

History

Text Box: We called and we called, we called on the LORD, we called on the LORD and we got an answer.

To contact us:

Phone: 317-635-4663

Website: www.indy-ggmbc.org

Email: clerks@indy-ggmbc.org